In most areas in the Highlands there is a lot of demand for council houses. This means that only a small number of people can be housed each year.
How to Apply for a Council House
- If you are aged 16 years or over then you can apply for council housing in the Highlands.
- To apply you need to get a Housing Application form from a Service Point or Housing and Property Office.
- Once you have filled in your application form and sent it back points will be given to your application that will decide your housing needs.
How is Housing Allocated?
- The Council keeps two lists of housing applicants - the transfer list and the waiting list.
- If you already live in a Highland Council house you will be on the transfer list, if not you will be on the waiting list.
- For each empty house a short list is made of the people who are looking for that size of house in that particular area.
- The house is normally offered to the person with the highest poinst as they have the greatest need for housing.
How Long Will I Have to Wait?
How long you have to wait to be housed depends on a number of things.
- The number of points you have compared to the number of points other people on the list have.
- How many houses are available in your area - in some areas the waiting time can be a while as there are not so many houses available.